Welcome to this veterinary approved and externally accredited First Aid for Dogs course.
Would you know how to save your dog’s life in an emergency? This veterinary approved and accredited online course is suitable for pet owners and pet professionals, fulfilling continuing professional development (CPD) requirements. Covering a range of topics with video demonstrations, downloads to keep, tutor help if you need it and a final accredited course certificate.
This course concentrates on the dog although many of the first aid principles apply to other mammals too as the body systems work in a very similar way.
By the end of the course you should be able to:
- Recognise a range of First aid situations.
- Be able to carry out a safe assessment of the animal.
- Be able to respond to a range of first aid situations.
- Have the confidence to carry out basic first aid treatments whilst waiting for veterinary attention.
1. The course recognises that the veterinary surgeons act 1966 restricts the diagnosis and treatment of an animal by another person other than a qualified and registered veterinary surgeon. However any lay person can carry out first aid in an emergency situation.
2. For all first aid cases, a veterinary surgeon should be contacted as soon as possible.
|Introduction from Caroline||00:00:00|
|The basic principles of first aid||00:00:00|
|What to include in a first aid kit||00:00:00|
|Safe handling and restraining techniques||00:00:00|
|Assessing and examining the patient and measuring the vital signs||00:00:00|
|Mucous Membranes and Capillary Refill Time||00:00:00|
|Module 1 – Task 1||Unlimited|
|Module 1 – Suggested Tasks||00:00:00|
|Haemorrhage and Locating the pressure points||00:00:00|
|Dealing with clinical shock||00:00:00|
|Bites and Stings||00:00:00|
|Module 2 – Task 1||Unlimited|
|Module 2 – Task 2||Unlimited|
|Cardiac arrest and carrying out cardio-pulmonary resuscitation (CPR)||00:00:00|
|Dealing with fits||00:00:00|
|Recognising pain and its effect on the patient||00:00:00|
|Module 3 – Task 1||Unlimited|
|Burns and Scalds||00:00:00|
|Ticks – recognition and safe removal||00:00:00|
|Module 4 – Task 1||Unlimited|
|Module 4 – Suggested Task||00:00:00|
|Gastric dilation-volvulus (GDV)||00:00:00|
|Electric Shocks & Electrical Burns||00:00:00|
|Module 5 – Task 1||Unlimited|
|Module 5 – Suggested Task||00:00:00|
|Sprains and Strains||00:00:00|
|Fractures and Dislocations||00:00:00|
|Module 6 – Task 1||Unlimited|
|Module 6 – Suggested Task||00:00:00|